Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 10, 2004, 4:37 AM   #1

I just bought the Canon A75 yesterday and am a complete newbie with digital cameras. That's why I just stuck to the AUTO mode and took a bunch of test shots. I notice that all pictures I take indoors that use flash turn out overexposed (is that the term? - face is too bright and background dark). It just seems as thought the flash is too strong and too bright.

How can this overexposure be corrected? Should I be using another mode other than AUTO? (There's a bunch of modes) I read the manual about the P mode (program AE) which "automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to match the brightness of the scene". Would this correct the problem?

I'm confused! Everything is wonderful about the digital camera so far except for a very bright face when flash is used. Please help!!

Thanks a bunch!
Tiger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2004, 8:44 AM   #2

You can try with "Photo-Brush".

You can DL it at: http://www.mediachance.com/

But if the light section is too "light" (it means without nuances) You can just get some kind of light or dark grey.

foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3

are they too bright on the computer screen as well. I find the lcd is too bright, not giving an accurate preview of the picture. But if that's not it, it may be the following. It depends on how faraway the background is from the subject. If the camera is trying to balance light for the whole scene, you can end up with images where the camera tried to illuminate the whole scene which is not possible with a little flash, but it tries, so elements closer to the camera become washed out in order to try and salvage some elements further away. One way to control what your camera does is to change you metering mode. I believe by default your camera is in evaluative, you can change to center weighted which will force the camera to adjust luminance based on the center of the frame rather than the whole thing. I believe you even have a spot metering which is not a true spot metering but somethign like it, hope this helps. by the way, I don't think you can change metering in full auto mode, use P mode
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:47 AM   #4

My son-in-law and I both have the same over-exposure problem with the flashon both our A75's. I tried taking a photo of my cat from about 5 feet away and it blew out everything (and really anoyed the cat) If I go into manual mode and put in the max under-exposure compensation and throttle down the flash to it's min setting, it's still a little over exposed.

If you take a photo of some people in a room about 10 feet away, that's ok. The flash does not seem to throttle down, nor does the camera reduce exposure for closer subjects.

You can't use this flash for fill-in, it blows away the details.
dwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote