Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 20, 2004, 4:25 PM   #1

Any help would be great here!

Which should I go with: the slightly noisy but very versatile A1/ A2 (extra $100 on A2) or the noise free Digital Rebel? Prices are close but to get the decision is dificult!

ps:I'll shoot sports, outdoor, indoor, landscapes and night..... enphasing indoors and night shots.
cristianomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2004, 11:18 PM   #2

The Rebel kit is nice, but you'd eventually want a nice tele lens and, probably, a better normal zoom eventually in addition to a separate flash unit, so the overall cost is much different than just comparing the two kits out of the box. If you do not think you'll eventually want to pick these up, the Minolta may be what you want for its all-inclusive setup.

Now, did you say "slightly" noisy about the A1/A2? Try very noisy at any rating above ISO 100- not what I'd call a versatile unit for indoors and/or night shots. You only start to see grain at ISO 800 with the Digital Rebel, and it aint much grain at that rating either. Neither the A1 or A2 will be as responsive for sports shots either.

If you've got the money you'll be much happier with the Digital Rebel if the bigger sized outfit doesn't bother you. The A1/A2 will be an easier camera to carry everywhere but you'll be stuck shooting at ISO 100 for clean shots with a lens that won't be fast enough for what you say you want to be able to shoot without having a powerful flash.

Kinda like comparing apples & oranges. If you want an alternative to the Digital Rebel you need to be looking at a Nikon D70. If you want to compare something to the A1/A2 you need to be looking at these other 8 megapixel digicams that will all have the same limitations, which should tell you the best choice as far as responsivness and image quality across the full range of available ISO settings. For what you say you want to shoot ISO 400 and 800 will be needed. At those settings you'll find the A1/A2 a little more than "slightly" noisy..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 2:05 AM   #3

The Digital Rebel is a DSLR and as such can have a very long learning curve. You're expected to perform lots of post processing. It has idiosyncracies associated to Canon SLRs and DSLRs such as E-TTL flash technology, exposure modes, and white balance (e.g., auto white balance is terrible).

So if you have experience with film based SLRs, you'll probably know what to expect. If you don't, I highly recommend researching the camera to see if it's right for you. Aside from the usual reviews, take a look at stuff posted at www.outbackphoto.comwhere they got in-depth usuage reviews as well as suggested workflows for processing images.

The other thing about DSLRs is that you must recognize you are buying a system compromised of lens, flash, camera bodies, and other expensive accessories. Lens can be expensive, but, you can typically use them with your next camera body. It also means you becomre commited to a particular brand for years to come.

Having said that, I know of one person who uses her Digital Rebel like a point in shoot; her last film camera was a Rebel 2000. She cranked up the in camera sharpening to max and tweaked saturation and other settings a bit and says she's quite pleased what comes out of the camera. She uses the "green square" mode a lot.

Also be prepared to deal with the size of the camera and associated gear. I have three bags: a smallish Tamrac 515 which holds the camera body and one lens for lightweight travel; a larger Tamrac 519 which holds the camera body with battery grip (which makes the camera over 6" tall), 2 other lens and/or flash; and a Tamrac Velocity 9 which is big enough to just about hold everything I currently own.

DSLRs have a lot to offer, but, be prepared to make a major time commitment to learn how to use them well.

- Marcos
marcosv is offline   Reply With Quote