Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 21, 2004, 9:11 AM   #1

So far so good with the A80. Images are excellent. One little question. I use my camera a lot for hiking. That means I need to have the camera at the ready. The wrist strap supplied means one must hold onto the camera at all times - which can be a pain on a difficult hike. Any one come up with a way to carry this camera around the neck? I presume a neck strap could be attached to the wrist strap - but not sure how that would work. Just looking for ideas.
bboseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 12:03 PM   #2

I find a Lowe-pro case on my belt keeps my A-70 handy. I don't know how this would work with a backpack though. There may be a way to suspend it on one of the shoulder straps. It could ride on the sternum strap if your pack has one, and it would be at about where a neck strap would keep it. You'd just have to work out a way to keep it from falling off when you unbuckle the strap, or remember to catch it!

I might try putting the lower half of my shoulder strap through the case's belt loop. The case wouldn't be upright, but the opening doesn't tend to let the camera slide out on it's own.

Some ideas...

jrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 12:24 PM   #3

I have used a small key chain ring on the wrist strap loop then use a shoulder strap off of a small camera case. The strap has snap clips to attach onto the key ring. Works pretty well when your in need of a neck strap.
mikesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:07 PM   #4

I brought a small protector carry case with shoulder strap. The advantages when hiking to me are:
  1. If raining camera stays dry.[/*]
  2. can also carry a set of extra batteries & memory card.[/*]
  3. camera is protected if climbing over rocks etc.[/*]
  4. It has an easy-to-use & quick release catch at the front to get at the camera quickly.[/*]
  5. It also has a button connected loop at the rear of the case to allow me to connect to my belt when I don't want to use the shoulder strap (but I had to glue the button connection on for permanency as it popped undone).
Just make sure the bag is small enough just to hold the basics.
badjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:02 AM   #5

A neck strap is also a very useful tool for bracing the camera for longer exposureswhen you're not using a tripod.

Rose is offline   Reply With Quote