Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:06 AM   #1
Default Canon G2 X Nikon Coolpix 4300

What should be the best choice - I will by my first digicam - Canon G2 or the new, and ligther - Nikon Coolpix 4300 that will arrive soon?
aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2002, 2:45 PM   #2

that depends more on you, not the camera

I suggest that you try both of them out - side by side. While I haven't played with the 4300 I did look at the 4500 and I've bought a G2.

Both are (likely) good cameras - I can't comment on the 4300 so don't flame me for the likely. I have a Nikon and like it a lot too.

For me the G2 met my needs for file size, ergonomics (my wife hates my Nikon 950) and ease of use. The mode dial is similar to my Canon SLR. Other niceties were the ability to use the same external flash with the SLR, good battery life, optional lens accessories and the moveable LCD screen.

The 4300 doesn't have a hot shoe and the screen is fixed. If these aren't important, then they aren't a benefit to you. Being a bit lighter isn't an issue to me - it might be for you.

Get out there and try them - you'll be happy either way most likely.

I would put the G2's natural competitor as the Nikon 4500 / 5000, not the 4300. I would suggest that a better comparison would be the 4300 vs. S40. The S40 is smaller and lighter than the G2, it also doesn't have some of the 'prosumer' things like hot shoe that the G2 does. It looks to me that the 4300 is an update on the 885 which was a good camera.

But get them in your hands to see which one works best for you.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 3:49 AM   #3

Hello "Ursa",
Thanks for yours observations.
The weight of G2 is 510 g (Nikon: 286 g)- When you walk all the day with the camera holded in your neck, for me this makes a big difference ! (S40 weighs 323 g) The tele of G2 goes to 102 mm and the 4300 to 114 mm. the macro distance of G2 is 6 cm and of Nikon is 4 cm. The Nikon is a 4 megapixel version of the 885, but has some prosumer advantages, and this camera is considered by the PC Magazine one of the "Editor's Choices". It has a good ergonomics.
The advantages of G2 for me are: battery life, hot shoe, flash range, lens aperture (2.0). Both cameras seem to give picture quality.The G2 is 1 year of age and maybe will be substituted by G3 soon.
I am still in doubt!
Thanks, you helped!
aries is offline   Reply With Quote