Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

Ok... we're going to assume that post processing will be needed..... I will need to know what software (for example noise reduction - Helicon Noise Filter, Noise Ninja, NeatImage, or all 3, adn which profile or how do I get one made?) / settings / etc to use.

Ok... let's say I want to take a no-flash action pic in a fairly dark area (at full wide-angle). Which option is better?
Option A
shutter priority, 1/80 sec
ISO 400
exposure compensation -2
(we'll assume an aperture of F/2.8 displayed in red)

do I use full bore sharpening in the custom effects or back off, and what about contrast and saturation? (this is for either option)
Option B
full manual mode
ISO 50
aperture F/2.8
shutter speed 1/80 sec (assuming same situation as before)

for post processing, I would probably at least be using the levels command, some sort of noise reduction if necessary, some sharpening, and some other stuff. I would want to get it up to where if I took the same shot straight out of the camera the exposure compensation would have been somewhere around 0, or maybe -1/3 give or take a bit.

Which is the best way of those options to get a fast-shutter low-light well-saturated (well, ok, maybe we can relax this requirement some for very dark shots, but at least if it has to end up grayscale fairly smooth gradations on the shades of gray) etc. pic?

Or, do I get an IR filter for the S1 and try to locate a <$25 fairly powerful IR spotlight that will put out a few hundred watts? (probably not possible, though?)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links