Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 5, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

Is there any website that might give me information so I could learn how to make my own TC? No one has one that I want for the price I'm willing to pay. I'd like 3 TCs, all of which have no vignetting at full wideangle, and the ability to zoom the TCs manually independently of the camera's zoom would be a big plus, also I'd like to be able to focus fairly close to the lens.
What I'd like is:
4x: 152-1520mm (camera's zoom when TC is at full zoom) (to 4864mm with digital), actual focal length in inches approx 2.284"
10x: 380-3800mm (to 12160mm), focal length 9.134"
40x: 1520-15200mm (to 48640mm), focal length 7'7.339"

also maybe a 20x 760-7600mm (to 24320mm digital), focal length 3'9.669"

When I was at a Padres/Rockies game earlier this week, with my S1 at full digital zoom, I was only able to get the batter at home plate to fill about 1/2 to 2/3 of the frame. I was sitting near the bullpen toward left field. What kind of TC would I need so that the home plate umpire's pupil (part of his eye) spills over the edges of the frame at full zoom?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

You won't be able to build something like that yourself. The closest thing you could get would be digiscoping with a small telescope.

And using the digital zoom is not even next to useless..... it IS useless. It crops the final image so you end up with poor resolution. e.g. If you got a camera with 4Mpixel, and you then do a 2x digital zoom, you end up with a 1Mpixel shot. You could just as well have cropped it on your computer.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote