Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 11, 2002, 7:48 PM   #1
Default Digital or SLR?

This is my first post and my question has to do with digital vs slr. I'va always had a 35mm slr for amateur shots of landscapes, sunsets and airshows. It does get to be expensive developing a lot of film for just a few shots so I'm thinking of going digital after almost 25 years!

Here are my concerns:

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 with a 28-80mm lens and a 300mm zoom lens. Is there an affordable digital camera that would give me the same ranges as with the lenses I currently have or am I trying to compare apples to oranges here? I see a lot of X factors when looking at zooming with digitals. How do they compare? I have a friend who has a Canon G2 and he loves it. Thanks for any help / advice.
hellcat51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2002, 3:29 AM   #2

the Dimage 7Hi will come close ... 28mm-200 w/o add on lenses.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:50 AM   #3

The Dimage 7i is $300-400 cheaper if you don't use raw mode, and don't mind about the silvered finish!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:16 PM   #4

Since you already have Canon lenses you might consider the canon D60. However those lenses will not do the camera justice and I would suggest the D60 with the 28-135mm IS USM and the 75-300mm IS USM.
If that configuration is too costly I would reccomend the Nikon 5700. It has 5 MP and with its optical zoom equates to 280mm.
dadsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 8:52 PM   #5

You might also consider a G2 and buy a teleconverter for the telephoto shots. You would be able to reuse your flash, the G2 does E-TTL and I think so does you SLR.

Since you're used to changing lenses already an add-on teleconverter wouldn't be a lot of hassle.

I'm is sorta the same situation with a Rebel XS - I intend to keep in the Canon family and wanted to be able to reuse an external flash.

A G2 with teleconverter should be about $300 US less than a Nikon 5700.

Eventually I want to move up into a digital SLR but I can't justify the cost. I figured out that I'd could take ~5000 shots with a new Elan 7e for price of the D60. Still I'd like to have one!

Don't consider just the zoom range - look at the speed of the lens too. Also consider what the ISO range of the camera is.

There's more to a digital camera than the zoom and the number of pixels.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote