Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:45 PM   #1

I purchased a Canon Powershot S1 IS almost two months ago and have come across a problem that a would like to know if anyone else has had.If I insert a card into the camera, format the card, set the "File Number Reset" to on, and then take pictures, it works okay. If I then turn the camera off and back on, it makes the next picture IMG_1110 (sometimes overwriting a file). I have tried setting the the "File Number Reset" to on, but it goes back to off whenever I turn the camera off. Is this a problem with my amera, or is it a problem with all S1 is cameras? I know this is a fairly new model. Is it possible that the camera was not tested over 1100 pictures? I think the main problem may be with the setup menu. When I set the File Number Reset to on and then turn the camera off, File Number Reset will be back off the next time I use the camera, and the next picture number is set to IMG_1110. This is the same for Mute and the other functions under the Setup Menu. If I turn File Number Reset to On each time I turn on the camera, the file numbering is correct. I am using this as a temporary workaround to this problem. I rather not do this every time because of the extra steps required. One of the reasons I chose this camera was for the ability to take a picture almost instantly after turning the camera on.
I have also noticed that if I change cards and turn the camera on, it detects the card properly and shows the pictures on the card. If I then turn the camera off and back on later, the camera will not show any pictures, and the camera shows that I have my 512 MB card installed whether I have my 512 MB, 128 MB, 48 MB, or 32 MB card installed. I have contacted Canon about this and they want me to send my camera back to them.
gwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links