Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:42 PM   #1

Hi all

I'm looking at upgrading digital cameras in the next few weeks and was just after any advice. I've been using a Panasonic DMC-LC20, but have given that one to my parents as I'm looking at getting something with a lot more control and quality so that I can start getting into photography as a hobby, not just for random shots when needed. So as the topic states, at the moment I've pretty much narrowed it down to the G5 and S60. And now I'm stuck!

I was quite set on the G5, with the main issue to overcome being the size. I'd still like something that I can carry around with me a lot of the time, but I can overcome that. However, shops around me have just brought in the S60, which has many similar features to the G5 but in a much more compact form. The issue with this camera, however, is that there aren't many full reviews on it [I know there are some, but I want more!]. I'm also not sure whether I'll want to use add-on lenses or anything in the future, which the G5 would be better for.

So.. any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch!

inn0cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:01 AM   #2

I own a G5: it's a very good camera.

Just two problems:

1) Viewfinder: left bottom corner of the view is obstructed by lens in wide-angle.

see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong5/page3.asp

2) ISO 400 is almost useless, as in all not dSLR cameras.

I'd go for the G5.

DanieleA is offline   Reply With Quote