Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:41 PM   #1

In terms of features, I feel these are fairly similar. I like the fact that the Sony has higher quality video at unlimited recording time - but heck, I'm not buying a video camera. The other reasons for going with the Sony would be:
- Slightly larger zoom (Is 4 tangibly larger than 3.6?)
- Night shots (Again, surely the s60 will be a good performer here too?)
- ??

On the other hand, the Canon is easier to hold, the lense is securely stored behind the cover (doesn't look as funky as the Sony in my op), has a wide angle lense, takes more shots on multi-burst mode, gets closer in macro mode, etc.

My question to the experts is: Are there other reasons, apart from features, to go with a Canon over a Sony (or vise versa) - i.e. for reasons of image quality, speeds of use, etc... ???

Like everyone else out there, trying not to go insane making this decision...

Cheers !!
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:58 PM   #2

I am looking at the same two cameras (as well as possibly sacrificing control for size by going with something small like a s500). One major issue that has come up is that the Sony has worse battery life. I will be using it for travel around the world and will need to charge the battery while in cheap hostels. However, the Sony charges inside the camera. I don't want to leave the camera out, charging, for 2 hours and risk it getting stolen. So in addition to buying an additional battery I will need to buy an external battery charger. I also am not sure if the charger provided is dual voltage or not. These issues may not concern you if you don't travel etc. but I thought I'd bring it up.
Bunglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote