Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:16 PM   #1

I've been doing what little research I can being relatively new to the photography world, and I have decided to purchase a digital camera. I have long been a photo enthusiast and I can't wait to get a new camera. However, only one small dilemma. Umm...which one??? Well, I have a little list of things I need and want in a cam (which follows) butthe reviews I have been reading of multiple cameras have me trying to read between the lines. Hopefully you can help. Here's what I want...

Most importantly I want the best picture quality I can get. I want to be able to take large landscape pictures, as well as close-up pics, so macro-capability is a must. I'd prefer not to have to lug around a bulky cam, so a simple compact or point-and-shoot would be preferable. Long battery life is ofcourse something to take into account, as is durability. Also, I'm not a poor man, but I don't want to be a poor man after making this purchase, so i'm thinking $500 would be reaching the upper ranges of my budget allocation.

But here's what I've gathered so far. I"m really interested in the Canon S60, but i've read about how many people felt that the camera was defected because it made clicking sounds and because some plastic piece made the camera feel fragile (but the pic-quality was excellent). The Canon G5 looks like a possibility too, but its a little more bulky than I had hoped, and - at least for now - the possibility of attachments isn't a priority. Then ofcourse I can consider the Canon S50 and S500, the Nikon Coolpix 5200, the Sony DSC-V1 or T1. I mean come on people, way too many decisions. Someone please knock a few off of my list and offer their suggestions.
skgn1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:44 PM   #2

I was trying to decide between buying an S60 and G5, finally decided on the S60 and picked it up yesterday. I haven't had that much time to play with it obviously but I just thought I'd say the build quality doesn't bug me at all. I don't find the lens cover flimsy.. it is made of a lightweight material, but I think it will hold up fine unless you're going to be playing football with the camera or anything Normal wear and tear on the camear, in my opinion, will be more than fine. My battery cover closesperfectly and feels sturdy, I think the only thing is it's also made out of lightweight material, which may make it feel flimsy to some people.

The images I've taken so far have been of wonderfulquality. The size is really great, and is one main reason I chose it over the G5. It's small but not so small it disappears in your hands. I think if you chose it you'd definitely be more than happy

Just my 2c!
inn0cent is offline   Reply With Quote