Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 20, 2004, 5:36 PM   #1

I read all reviews and a lot of post about low light focusing problems in Canon S1. Some users tell that the camera dont focus on low light, some that the camera focuses but very slow and some that the camera focus well. I think that the question (for me) is: How much is low light?
I am a begineer and I dont understand the range or terms as "foot-candle" or lux.
For example: Can I take a shoot in a birthday with only the light of two ot three candles?
Can I take a night shoot of a tree with the moon as background? (I am fan to shoot the moon)
Please help me understand how much is low light.

Also, How work autofocus in movie mode, for this examples (or another to understand)?

mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:32 AM   #2

Hi I have taken a few photos at night at a partywith the S1 with the only light being a single tungsten light bulb .Yes the autofocus is slower than normal but still works .I have seen some posts by people who find that best autofocus in these conditionsis with lens at shortest zoom.The camera was able to take photos when the image in the screen was quite dark and the resulting pictures due low power of flash onboard were dark but I could brighten them to a ok standard in the Arcsoft photo suite that is in the software the camera is shipped with ,although I had to auto enhance some of the darkest at brightest settings twice.I have shot the birthday cake shot you mentioned with acceptable results .Try P mode and spot metering on face of subject and try bracketing exposure if time allows (start at under exp).I have seen some excellant Moon shots posted on forums taken with this camera especially if you have the telephoto ext lens and tripod .Some S1 users in movie mode swear by zooming out to longest distance and locking focus then image apparently stays sharp even when camera iszoomed and camera no longer hunts for focus(I will try this my self next time I shoot a movie.)Hope I have been of help

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your complet answer!!

Also, when you try the movie mode (as you put in your post)
plase post the results.
Thanks, so much.
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote