Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1

I really need some advice. I started out looking for a new P&S that I could carry with me 100% of the time. Sony W-1 didn't work out for me and after doing some reading and comparing pic quality in the store, I ended up with the S410. I am much happier with this camera than the W-1. I have taken a zillion photos with this camera and had some prints made this weekend which include crops and then enlarge to 5x7. These photos turned out so awesome that I am now have some serious second thoughts. I hadn't quite expected to get these great shots. NOw I am wondering, while I still have the time, if I should upgrade to the 5mp - S500???

Reviews said that the S410 was maybe a bit better than the s500. However, they weren't talking in terms of cropping and enlargements. Would the 5mp make that much difference, or should I just stay put. The "in between the lines" impression that I got from reviews was that the S410 is better? ..... OR ...... just a better value?????????

I will also likely use this to catch indoor candid shots using the flash. Some comments implied that flash quality was better with s410.

To any/all that respond ---- thanks for the help!

Elphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:30 PM   #2

5 mp will make a difference if you want to crop your pictures, or enlarge them to more than 5" x 7".

4 mp , ie the 410 does seem to have a stronger flash, or so numerous reviews state. I find it ok.
If you like low light shots, there is less "noise" with the 410.

I chose the 410 because it displays less noise, and am very happy with the camera.
For point and shoot, I believe it is perfect.

If you want to do a lot of enlarging and cropping, I would go for the S60 rather than the 500.
Also, the 500 is uses more battery power.

Basia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:24 AM   #3

I agree with what Basia mentioned there. S500 does have significant more noise than S400 or S430. Unless there is such a need for heavy cropping, I would go with the S400 simply for much cleaner images.

EddiePCS is offline   Reply With Quote