Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:02 AM   #1

My wife recently got a bonus check, and I've talked her into getting a decent Digital. :-)

I'm finding the A80 for around $270, and the 1S IS for around $345. Is the 1S IS worth the extra 75 bucks ? I'm seeing some serious problems posted here, an would probably stick with my film SLR to do serious shooting. It looks like the A80 is a perfectly good camera, but the 1S has a much better zoom and stabilization thrown in.

Does the A80 have the memory card problems and AF problems of the 1S ?

I hate these pre-buyers zitters...

Any opinions on these two would be appreciated. Thanks.

bryantlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:01 AM   #2

Hi I have not used the A80 but own the S1-is .

For me the extraZoom length is a huge plus .I used A canon Eos 630 Slr(24mm,35-80mm,75-300mm lenses)for more than 10 years before buying this camera and it has not left its bag since I purchased the S1.

For me the biggest hurdle was the electronic viewfinder which is very ordinary compared to a true SLR but I have now gotten used to it and dont notice it as muchnow.

Yes this camera does have a bad repution as far as CF cards go but I have had no problems with the sandisk 1Gb ultra2 cards.Some people complain about purple fringing on ultra zooms but I have not noted iton the photos I take and it is greatly reduced by using smaller appertures.The photos I have taken with this camera at 4x6 and 5x7 sizes are quite acceptable compared to my 35mm photos and only a keen photographer would pick which was which.

I no longer have to listen to my wife complain about wasting film and have shot nearly 4000 frames since April (about 2500 more than I have shot in the last ten years!!).Even if you dont buy the S1 I really feel the ultra zooms are themost versatilefor a keen photoghrapher .
The focus problems are improved in the continuos mode which is what I use predominately.Still nowhere as good as my old SLR but par for a long zoom digicam.

My wife who only has a little experience with point and shoot cameras has only taken a few sessions to be able to take photos with which she is happy in auto mode and Im weening her onto P mode.

Hope this helps Brendon

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote