Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:14 PM   #1
Default A40 Movie Mode

I have just purchased the powershot a40. From various reviews on the internet it seems you can only do ~10 second movies (320x240) no matter what size memory card you have? However in the back of the cannon user guide that came with the camera it has different lengths depending on the size of your memory card, so which is true? I'm thinking probably the second option as I have a 32mb memory card and this morning i was able to film 2 different movies at ~15-20 seconds each. However one thing I noticed was the camera stopped recording at about that time instead of continuing? any reason for this? so if anyone could help clear this situation up, it would be appreciated, thanks

SMBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:17 AM   #2
Default It's content-related I believe

Yep, the movie is compressed on the fly into the small internal buffer (a few MB, about 4 I believe). This compression is mJPEG, a derivate from JPEG and is not an exact percentage of the original. In other words, the compression factor depends on the content of the frames. Depending on the complexity of the movie (lots of movements?), the buffer can contain a variable number of compressed frames. Audio is lpcm 11Khz 8 bit and is not compressed. When the recording has stopped (either buffer full or you pressed the shutter button), the movie is written to the CF card (BUSY sign is displayed).

This is my theory

[Edited on 02-10-4 by Keon]
Keon is offline   Reply With Quote