Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:36 PM   #51

Okay, here's a slight variant on the problem I've seen here. When I hold the button halfway down, the flash DOES pop up; it just doesn't flash.

This might be something crazy simple, but I know NOTHING about cameras. This is the only "decent" camera I've ever owned.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:27 PM   #52
Default Canon Pwershot S1 flash repair.

Your repair instructions worked great and in ten minutes I had mine repaired. The hardest part was finding a screwdriver small enough to fit the screw. A pair of tweezers helped get it back together.
Originally Posted by fisher112 View Post
I recently purchased an S1 IS and had the exact same problem with the flash not popping up correctly, but I found the problem on mine. When the flash "clicked" as many of you have observed, the release mechanism fails to 'let go' of the flash, which is sprung. On mine, I forced the flash open (this is probably not recommended, but I did it at least 10 times without breaking or bending any parts). To make a long story short, if you look under the flash (left side as you're facing the flash), you will see a black catch mechanism held on by one small Phillips screw. When I removed this screw and pulled the catch off, there was a very small washer in between the catch and the flash plastic housing....this appears to be an assembly error. I reassembled the catch with the washer on the screw-side of the catch, and this fixed the problem completely. Again, the reassembly is Catch-Washer-Screw, NOT Washer-Catch-Screw. Hopefully this helps everyone out having this problem.

Last edited by paps350; Oct 25, 2009 at 3:31 PM.
paps350 is offline   Reply With Quote