Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1

I'm considering buying an S1 IS to replace my failing Mini-DV camcorder and OLY C-3050 in one fell-swoop. Is this realistic from the camcorder side? How do the movies compare to a mini-DV camcorder? How much time can I record on a fast 1G CF card? Has anyone here shot video underwater with the waterproof housing? If so, what were your results?
GOWYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2

Although the movies from the S1 IS are decent, its just not possible to compare a camera to a camcorder. A camcorder is made to record moving picture and sound whereas a camera is made to take still shots. The videos are just a bonus.
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:25 AM   #3

S1 has one of the best movie function for this kind of camera. With a 1 Gb CF You get:

640 x 480 pixels Fine (max. 9:09 at 30fps)
640 x 480 pixels (max. 12:23 at 30fps)
320 x 240 pixels (max. 26:41 at 30fps)

You can use zoom, sound at 22khz (good quality) and the remote control (if You have).
The quality is not much lower an a digicam but the recording time is short.
Check these reviews:

You can find some movie too.
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:45 PM   #4

One sliiiiiiight problem: the movies are not that great under low light conditions. There's no assist light like there is on dedicated camcorders.

Also, make sure you get a type II CF. O/w you may be dropping frames.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:57 AM   #5

I don't pretend to know anywhere near as much as anyone else who posts here, but I've spent the last few weeks looking through all the latest reviews. Have you taken a look at the A95? It's only a 5X zoom instead of the 10X on the S1, but I've got a friend who has one and swears by the underwater housing. Worth a look mabybe? Good luck!
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:28 AM   #6

I have now had my S1 for almost 5 months andam still learning every day.

The movie function, as I see it, is a cool built in extra feature but you can never compare it with a real digital cam corder. IMO the S1 is still just a digi-cam and is not to be compared to a cam corder. Too many differences!! But it is a great feature and I have used it a couple of times in funny or sudden situations. I have uploaded some samples of the movie function to http://blueskypilot.dk.

Some of them are directly from the camera and some are compressed due to their large size.

I have acouple of low light (in almost darkness)clips and will upload them as soon as I have the time. Studies first you know! :G

The low light clips are a bit grainy and shows me that the S1 has some limits when it comes to night shooting. But I still have a lot to learn so I might have missed a setting or two! The camera itself is very good I think. I personally am thinking of buying a couple of add on lenses to make it even more fun to shoot!

With regards to the underwater housing I have not seen much on the www showing the S1 in use! Since it is getting colder here in Denmark I reckon I don't need it the next 7 months afterall! :roll:
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote