Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:05 PM   #1

Hi i've been looking at <$300 cameras for about a month now, and the canon A85 seems to be one of the best. i dont have a real need for lots of megapixels, so i was wondering how much better the A85 is than the A75

based on spec sheets, the A75 seems to have better movie mode (640x480@15fps) than the A85 (640x480@10fps) and has faster continuous shooting for a few more frames. other than that these two cameras seem very much the same except for resolution.

what are your thoughts about it?
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:04 AM   #2

Whichever you choose you won't go wrong! I have a Canon A80 and it is a superb camera. Just can't recommend Canon enough1
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:44 PM   #3

I've been looking at these cameras also and the only thing that really matters to me is that the higher pixel CCD gives you more room for cropping. I was a little concerned about crammimg an extra 1MP onto the same size CCD, in terms of latent image noise (less light available per pixel would require more electronic gain), but don't seem to find much evidence of this in any sample pictures I've seen.
satwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:39 PM   #4

I had an A85 for about a week. The pictures wherepretty good(not the best). The LCD had 2 bright spots in the bottom (maybe some kind of cheap way to light something up). It felt very cheaply made with the flimsey plastic and access door. I don't know if the 75 is like that or not, but I returned the camera and used the bright spots as an excuse.

I was ready to give up on digital cameras at that point, because I returned a Canon S1 IS because it was defective, as well as a Sony CiberShot W1 because it also was defective.

I took one last look before giving up and saw the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. They just came in and where not even on display yet. I figured I would give it one last try. The FZ20 is one awsome camera. Its got as much zoom as you will ever need, and is an excelent point and shoot camera as well. It can be used for pretty much any thing you can throw at it. It's built very well. But it costs a lot more.

The FZ3 is also an excelent camera with many of the same features as the FZ20, and it's a couple hudred dollars cheaper.

Just something to consider.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 4:20 AM   #5

I am using A75 for about two months now. I have clicked hundreds of pictures with it. It is just wonderful.

It has all the features that any other camera in this class has or even might be more.

If you check the cnet reviews, It is the best camera in its class over all companies and all models. Please check this link http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_came...tml?tag=subnav

Resolution wise it has 3.2 MP. I don't think I need more than 2MP, which is sufficient for 4x6" prints and as well for desktop wallpapers onmy PC.

The baseline is that I am very happy with this. Fully satisfied!

You can see belowmy image taken bymy A75 camera.This is in the medium class. I have much better photos.

Attached Images
Ashwyn is offline   Reply With Quote