Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:19 PM   #81

Thank you, VINH. Thank you to all others, too. I love the quality of photos and videos from my S400. Y'all have set me on the path to prolonging its use.
macherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:37 PM   #82

Hi - Thanks for the info. I was having the same issue with my Canon Powershot S400 & I found you on Google. I came across a place that said all you need to do is (believe it or nor) violently shake the camera by its strap a few times, turn it on & off a few times & the problem is fixed! I try it for the heck of it (skeptical I must say - since when does anything free work), low & behold - it worked! Read here scrolling down to the 3rd entry by E Yu: http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:24 PM   #83

Not knowing about this thread, and being an electrical engineer, I repaired the camera, suffering from same memory card error, myself. The root cause was soldering problems at the card reader connector. While shortly re-heating the contacts, I could see excessive solder bubbling which is a sign of something gone wrong during initial soldering.
Definitely a problem that should be fixed by sending the camera in. I do not recommend to do this yourself.
ewumnrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:39 PM   #84

Thanks ewumnrr! I just repaired my Canon S500 which is identical to the S400 except it's 5MP instead of 4MP. I took it apart and used a dry fine tipped soldering iron to melt each solder joint that connects the CF connector to the ribbon cable. I didn't add any additional solder, I just carefully melted each solder joint and allowed it to cool again. After reassembling the camera it worked immediately, good as new.

If you try this, be sure to remove the battery and CF card before disassembling.

Note: I just bought my S500 used off ebay and it arrived non-working with the "Memory Card Error" displaying after a long pause before powering on. The seller claims it was working before he shipped it so I would guess that one or more of the CF solder joints came loose during shipping.
dougk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:41 PM   #85
Default Free repairs

Canon has finally admitted that there is a design flaw causing the memory error failures. There is a service memo out that is posted on their website

that offers to make repairs free of charge. I sent my SD400 camera in and have just received a refurbished one in return.
melnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:54 AM   #86

It looks like they published that a long time ago. But, I'd never noticed it. Thanks for sharing.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote