Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1

I have a canon G1 that I have used for 3 years. I have loved it until recently, when it started taking terrible photos. The color is all messed up. They look washed out or faded, and it's like the photo has a general GRAY HUE to it. This has happened on different settings (P, auto, portrait) and happens sporatically, but not all the time. I have attached an example photo that was taken in my back yard in the shade on a very sunny day around 5PM. It just looks gray. (The grayish stripes in the boys sweaters were actually green). I think perhaps I have a setting that I somehow changed and can't get back to what it shoudl be. Is there a way to put all the settings back at the original default? Could this be caused by something as simple as a smudge on the lens? Can anyone help? I would be very appreciative. Thank you!!!
Attached Images
canon_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:58 AM   #2

canon_user wrote:
Is there a way to put all the settings back at the original default?
You may want to check your white balance setting first.

As far as resetting it to factory defaults, I don't know if these methods would work on a G1, but you could try them:

On the G3, I understand that you can press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds, and you'll get a prompt asking you if you want to reset the camera.

If this doesn't work on the G1, check your manual to see if there is a button battery that is user replaceable. Here is a post I found on resetting a G2:

Remove the small backup battery for a few minutes and then re-insert it.

It is located 'behind' (towards the back of the camera) of the main battery. Open the battery hatch, remove the main battery and look at the back of the battery compartment. You'll see a small sliding door which you can move towards the bottom of the camera. It holds a small button-type battery which enables the camera to retain its settings with the main battery removed.

Remove it, let the camera sit for about 5 mins without it and re-insert it. Replace the main battery and switch the camera on. The camera should have 'forgotten' all its settings.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote