Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:22 PM   #1

Hi Everybody,

I was all set on getting a Sony W1. I love the big screen, high speed and ability to use normal batteries. Besides that, the reviews are all good. I'm not bothered by the softness issue as the sample pix I've seen on-line all seem fine to me.

This saturday I'm going on a holiday to the south of Spain, so I need to pickup a digicam before that time. Earlier today I went to the store to buy the W1....but guess what, they were all sold out:sad: Next shipment coming in next week...when I'm in Spain already

Tomorrow I'm going to check a few other stores, but assuming the W1 is really out of stock, what alternative should I consider?

The Canon SD300 seems to Match the W1 in many areas: high speed, large screen, some manual controls. However, I'm afraid this cam might be just a little too small for me to hold comfortably and the (limited) sample pictures I've seen online didn't impress me at all. Here I do see a problem with softness in the cornes. Any reactions on this?
Other cams I'm willing to consider:

- Canon S500: hate the small screen, and heard it's slow and has a bad battery life when compared to the Sony W1 (???). It does seem to take very good pix indoors and outdoors in auto mode (???)

- Sony P150: screen is smaller, the price is very steep, and I don't think I need 7mp.
As you can see, my mind is going around in circles and it's driving me crazy! :angry:

Can someone please enlighten me with some sensible feedback? I could really use some right now. What camera do I choooooose???

Thanks in advance!
gerhardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:45 AM   #2

I have an IXUS 40 (SD300) and am very happy with it. I like it because it is tiny so I do take it with me when I go places and since I'm a simple point and shoot person it takes photos that seem great to me - I don't know/careenoughto worry about soft corners or purple fringing which is another thing mentioned by people. It is very small though so I find I have to concentrate to hold it steady particularly when using the zoom. It also has very good movie modes.

As to other options, cameras I also looked at getting (before choosing the Canon) included theCasio Z55, Pentax s5i, Panasonic FX7, Minolta X50, Sony P100 (cheaper, fewer megapixels than the P150you looked at) on the ultra-compact front and then ones like the Canon A85/95, Nikon 5200 as slightly larger ones more like the size of the W1 you were planning on getting.
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:11 AM   #3

I've had both the W1 & Ixus 40 (SD 300) this year. I've just sent the IXUS 40 back and gone back to a trusty A95. Pics are excellent, the battery thing (AA's) is great and I don't have to take 4 pics to get 1 good one as I did with the SD300. No competition for me as it's only slightly larger than the W1 too! A95 all the way!...do I come acrossas biased?Saying that, I loved the portability of the little IXUS but at the end of the day it's all down to picture quality and I'm afraid the 40 didn't just cut it for me, I'm sure others will disagree but this is my experience. Good luck with your choice though, I'm sure others on here will help you decide...All the best...
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote