Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:30 AM   #1

I was pretty keen on buying an SD300/IXus 40 - but I see so many different pics - some with terribly blurry corners, some that aren't so bad.

Are these differences mainly compositional/settings based, or are they 'always' bad. Most of my stuff will be for random P&S use, but I gotta say I'm not that keen on losing everything in the corners..

Love to hear (or see)your experiences!
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:38 PM   #2

I've had my ixus 40 for 2 weeks now. The build quality and design are superb, but unfortunately i have to admit i'm dissapointed with the image quality. I bought this camera to upgrade from an Ixus v2 (2Mp). The v2 definately had superior image quality.

I always liked the stitch assist mode on canon ixus cameras and have taken some awesome pics using it on my v2 It is in this mode that you notice the fringing problems with the ixus 40.Once stitched you see a banding effect on every seam which was much less apparent on the v2.

Despite the benefits of theixus 40, overall I would choose to use the v2! I would go for the Ixus 500 instead which has the same lens as the v2 but more pixels.

Hope this helps your decision.

Tyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:14 PM   #3

I too have had a SD300 everything about the camera is excellent except one thing and the most important and thats the picture quality its very disapointing you can get a camera for half the price and get similar picures.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:27 PM   #4

I am not disappointed with the pix quality of my SD300, it is surely not as clear as my Sony V1, but better than my Minolta XT and Nikon 885. Ang it is the fastest among all my digicams, also the smallest.

Ching is offline   Reply With Quote