Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:02 PM   #1

I'm planning on buying an A-95, and with that comes an CF card. Now, i've searched the Canon site and looked for the write speed onto the CF card, and it doesn't specify. I dont want to buy a 40x or 80x card if it only writes at 12x or 20x. Do any of you guys know the write speed, one guy at a camera store told me it was only 8x, i kinda doubt and hope it's not that low, but could you guys tell me the truth?

Shaftination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:54 PM   #2

Well, its quite rare but the guy at the store was about right.... The A95's read/write speed does not exceed 8x, with that being said... The dRebel's read/write speed is something like 9x and very few compact digicam really read/write fast... Some cameras need faster cards for movies or for continuous drive. For the A95, movie doesn't depend on the card's speed. The Continuous drive is quite good for a compact digicam and may benefit a tiny little bit from 8x cards vs normal 1x.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:51 AM   #3

I was beating myself over the head with the same issue recently when I came across some empirical data on a review of the A95. The calculated write speed is approximately 740kb/s which would give a speed of roughly 5X (1X = 150kb/s). So I gave up the notion of trying to buy a fast card for my A95 and save a few bucks...to apply to other toys. :-)

Here's the link to the review...just scroll down to the Write speed portion: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/page4.asp
vhwang is offline   Reply With Quote