Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:10 PM   #1

Looking to get the wife either of these for the Holidays...

I like the form of the SD20, but the lack of an opitcal zoom bugs me. 5 mega pixels is nice, but can you really take advantage of that

The SD200 is nice, a bit bigger, has the optical, but has a really flymzie design in the SD - Battery compartment that has resulted in a broken door for a previous generation of Canon that I had. The door on the SD20 seems alot sturdier.

I guess if the SD200 had a better door I wouldn't question, but it makes me hesitant. Has anyone been in the same delima as me, and what did you wind up with?

neps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

I'd go with the SD20 if you want to do enlargements or a lot of zooming & cropping. More Megapixels gives more options with your shots, of course. I bought the SD200 because I wanted a small, quick camera that performed well in low light. The battery door hasn't caused me any problems after ~two weeks but I am very careful with it (I put my fingernail in the groove next to the hinge and gently slide it open).
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:29 PM   #3

The way I'd think about it is how much do you zoom and how far. 5MP becomes 3MP at 1.3x zoom. If you never zoom, then no doubt, the SD20 offers more a value to you. If half your pictures are 3x zoom, then you'd be looking at either getting physically closer or having .55MP of cropped image.

It's funny to me; owning a SD200 (and having had a SD100 for a year before) I don't even concern myself with the battery compartment. I carried my SD100 in my pocket every day (with a cell phone) for a year. It took many scuffs and survived many drops and the battery compartment never became a problem.

I do have some concern about hte USB/AV port cover on the SD200 because it's non-replacable soft plastic connecting. I don't know how that compares to the SD20.

The SD20 also has no optical viewfinder. This would be an issue for me as I often turn the viewfinder off when outside in the day or conserving the battery. Movie mode, if it matters to you, is not the SD20's strength
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote