Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1

I want to buy an ultra compact digicam w/ good quality image especially in low light condition and unlimited video recording...

Ive been thinking of this 2 digicams, which do you think is better in terms of:

1) quality image especially in low light condition?

2) handy and pocketable size?

3) video quality?

pls. need your reaction, thanks in advance!
logoMANNYger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:46 PM   #2

Hello, well i've recently made this exact choice. I in the end went for the sd300 over the pentax for many reasons really. Firstly you mention a good video mode, well if you look at the reviews of both cameras on this site, you should see that the canon has a far superior vidoe mode compared to the pentax. No competition there really.

If you want good image quality i would discard the sd200 as the 300 will obviously have better image quality with the extra mega pixel. The pentax does however have one more pixel than the sd300, but having looked at the sample pics on steve's reviews, i decided the overall pic quality of the canon was better, esp in terms of colour rendition. Again, check the reviews out for yourself.

All the cameras are roughly the same size (tiny!) With the pentax being just slightly lighter, but not by much. In fact i found the weight of the canon more comfortable. In terms of low light shooting, 2 things to mention. the canons have an AF assist lamp, which helps the camera focus in low light. The pentax doesn't. Also the canons have the option to select a slow shutter speed of upto 16 seconds, compared to the pentax's 4 sec max, which is only selectable throught the scene modes.

Overall i think the canon would be the better option for you, but obviously check out the reviews for yourself

Canon - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/sd300.html

Pentax - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../optios5i.html

Hope this helps,

Eddie
teddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:07 PM   #3
rp3

I agree with most of what TeddyT says and own a SD200. Image quality is where I differ (or maybe I misunderstand him).

What are you planning to do with the photos. Are you printing 8x10s and smaller or 11x14s and larger. 8x10s and smaller, there's no need for more than 3mp.

To quality of the picture, I'd argue the SD200 takes a slightly better picture with less "purple fringing" and stuff that comes from trying to fit more Megapixels into the same sensor size. It's not that big of a deal (not enough to even suggest Pentax cameras as comparable) but it's something to consider when you are talking about different priced cameras.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:37 PM   #4

There is always need for more megapixels for cropping. The
more the better as long as the noise stays low.
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:30 PM   #5

Yes, but when comparing the canons to the pentax, the fact the pentax has an extra mega pixel doesn't mean it's a better camera or that it will have better image quality. I've read a few reviews saying users had problems with the exposure on the pentax, things looking ok on the lcd then looking wrongly exposed in print.

just a thought!
teddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:39 AM   #6

I wasn't suggesting that more megapixel equates to better image quality. Only that more megapixels is better with similar image quality even when you don't want to print very large prints. If you shoot and print without cropping then there is no advantage to more MPs except for larger prints.
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:59 PM   #7

I haven't tested the S5i yet but I found the S4i to have quite a bit more noise in low-light than the Canon when I was choosing a sub-compact. On auto settings, it was really bad. It would follow that the S5i would have even more (but again, not tested).

One of the reasons I got the Canon was its performance in low-light was quite good (I tested these cameras in low-light before choosing: Nikon CP 3200, Pentax Optio S40, Pentax Optio S4i, Konica Minolta G400 & G500... The Nikon had absolutely great low-light pics but the shot-to-shot delay was atrocious).
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote