Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:56 PM   #1

I was out today in mid 30s F temps for less than 2 hours - walking my dog Winston. Took some pictures and everything was fine except at the end of our walk I noticed that the lens assembly made a strange sound as it retracted when I turned off the unit. I thought it weird so I turned it back on and played with the zoom. Everything with the unit worked fine but while the zoom pulled in and out a louder than usual mechanical sound came from the camera. I thought it might be the cold so I put it away and went back home. I waited about an hour before taking out the camera from a plastic bag and turned on the unit. The camera still made the weird sound while zooming in and out. I left the unit on for several minutes while I downloaded pictures I took. When I switched the camera back to shoot mode the lens froze half-way out. I freaked out for a second before I realized that the most likely cause was dead batteries due to cold exposure. I replaced the batteries and the unit powered up with its usual soft zoom sound. The strange sound is now gone.

Has anyone experienced this happening because of cold weather? I've run my batteries down pretty low with my A75 and never heard this louder than usual zoom noise, any thoughts as to why? Thanks.

spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links