Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:10 AM   #1

as of today I'm the proud owner of an s1 (yes!!!).

Here's my first question ( probably one of many) ( and forgive me if it's a stupid one) :?
Can one set it to take Auto Exposure bracketing while in auto mode? The instruction book talks about using it when in "P" "Tv" and "Av" ( pg 84) modes, but I'd like to be able to use it in Auto.

Oh, and a follow-up to that - is there anyway of making that auto exposure bracketing one of the shotcuts?

Thanks folks - 5 days away from taking my new camera to Beijing !!!!!!!

The joys of the Yuletide to you all!
Pagan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

I'm a newbie as well so hopefully someone else can help out as well...

As far as I know, you cannot use exposure bracketing in auto (in fact, you can't really do much in auto).

As far as setting the shortcut key, I'm not too sure about that. I don't remember what the restrictions on the shortcut key are.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:45 PM   #3

Hi ,The only difference between auto and P is that you can change settings .I have not bothered to set any custom function buttons on mine but a lot of owners set hyper focal distance setttings so that they can focus in low light better.My biggest tip to you would be to use P rather than Auto so you can set ISO to 50 as quality drops off quickly with higher ISO's and the camera shifts to higher ISO's a bit quicker than I would like in some situations.

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:34 PM   #4

I would agree. There's not much you can change in auto mode except the flash settings andauto timer, which is why I personally don't use it that much. According to the manual, exposure bracketing is only available in P, Tv, and Av.

Full auto isgood for a quick snapshot, simply point and shoot. My wife tends to favour auto mode since this is her style of photo and doesn't much like it when I forget to turn it back to auto before putting the camera in the bag. She wants to be able to grab the camera and snap a few without fooling with settings. I have got her using the preset auto modes though, portrait, landscape, night, etc. This helps improve quick shapshots a lot.

As for the shortcut key, Iusingit for white balance (so far) as I find myself changing this function more than most, but if there's a trick to making focus better in low light I'd love to hear it.

How would you go about setting focal distances to the shortcut key?

ghubbers is offline   Reply With Quote