Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:36 AM   #1

Does anyone know of any ultrabright IR flashlights that I could use for fast-shutter night photography with the Canon S1 IS? I do have a 4 D Cell MagLite and just found out I could get an infrared filter for it. (My main concern is that other people not be able to see the light or the camera when they're in use, and I also want to be able to properly expose subjects as far as 50 feet away with a 1/500" shutter speed at F/5.6 and ISO 50. (I just ran a test using a TV remote, my face, and an S1 IS. Sorry I can't post the result, but I used a 15", F/2.8, and ISO 400 (although the noise looked more like ISO 6400) and held the remote about 6 inches from my face. The image was moderately underexposed.) Would I also need to put an IR filter on the camera itself?

Any suggestions?

Also against what color card would I set the manual white balance to compensate for the infrared color cast?

Or, is there another better way to get low-noise properly exposed action shots at night or in dark areas using only ambient (visible) lighting?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links