Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1

I have a A80 Powershot that has been working fine until today. Now when I turn on into record mode there is no image on the LCD. Everything worked fine 2 weeks ago when I last took a picture, and the camera has been sitting quietly on a shelf since then. It has not been dropped or knocked in any way.

The LCD still works as the icons are still displayed on a black background. All the other modes and menus appear to still work. I can even still "take" pictures, although they appear just black. The autofocus still whirrs although no green AF boxes appear on the display (in AiAF mode) (In no-AiAF mode, the centre white focussinf box still appears)

The only other "diagnostic" info I can provide is the auto shutter speed the camera selects in "P" mode is always the same: 1/60 s and F2.8 no matter if the environment is dark or well lit. (or 1.0s and f2.8 if flash set off).

My intuition tells me something serious is up here! Done all the usual stuff like new batteries, re-inserted the same and a different CF card, turned on and off a few times!

I'd appreciate any advice!

achookang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2

Alan, it sounds like the CCD (or more likely, it's supporting chipset) has probably failed in some way(although the shutter could be stuck in the closed position).

It will most likely need a trip back to Canon for repair.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote