Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

I am keen to buy a Canon Powershot S1 IS but just want to check that there is not going to be a new model released in the near future.

I am presuming that most new cameras are announced at Trade Shows so does anyone know when the next big ones are and hence when manufacturers are likely to be releasing their new products.

ie, if there is a big show in the next month, I will hold off my purchase to make sure that there are no surprises - there cannot be anything worse than buying a camera just before the new, improved version is announced!!
thanks in advance for any help

Gary Mansell
garymansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

Manufacturers tend tolaunch many new models during the annual PMA (Photo Marketing Association) show each year in February.

This year's show will be in Orlando from February 20-23.

We'll need to waitfor any announcements to see what they may or may not have planned. Announcements tend tostart prior to the show (rather than waiting until the show dates to get press out on models being launched there). In fact, some new models from other manufacturers were just announced.

More announcements tend to come later in January, and continueup to the PMA show in Feburary.

Another show is going on right now (Computer Electronics Show):

But, there is no guarantee that a replacement for the S1 is coming soon. We'll just have to wait and see.

Of course, by waiting, you won't have a camera to enjoy, and there will also be something newer, faster, better, etc., coming along -- it's just a matter of when.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:15 PM   #3

And these are followed by http://www.photokina-show.com/ half a year later, where even newer annowncements are made. Then the whole cycle starts again. :?The spiral never ends.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote