Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:28 AM   #1

There is a fairly big difference between these two in terms of cost and what I would like to know is whether the S70 is worth the extra money. My primary interest is getting the best image quality I can and I'm a little confused which one will deliver that. I understand that the S60 and S70 have the same size CCD (although they are different). Seeing as the S60 is 5MP and the S70 7MP would it be true that the S70 would produce more noise and therefore the S60 would be better in terms of image quality? Or is it the case that the CCD used in the S70 is of superior quality? I'm very confused with it all!

Apart from this issue and the colour of the camera bodies I can't see any difference between the two. Are there any other differences I should be aware of ?
hotchilidamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2

As a general rule, the smaller the photosites for each pixel, the higher the noise levels. So, if you put more photosites into the same size sensor (for example, a 5MP 1/1.8" CCD compared to a 3 or 4 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD) you get more noise (since the photosites must be smaller to fit into the same size CCD when you have more of them, and they are unable to gather as much light, requiring more amplfication for equivalent ISO sensitivity).

However, Sony seems to have made some advances in the CCD design with the new 7MP 1/1.8" CCD that you're seeing in the newer generation of 7MP models from Canon, Sony and others.

Surprisingly, it seems to have lower noise than the Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD that Canon uses in the S60 and S50 (which is the opposite of what you would expect). So, I'd probably go with the S70 between these two.

But, if I were choosing between a model using a Sony4MP 1/1.8" CCD versus a Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD, I'd personally go with the4MP 1/1.8" CCDif everything else was equal between the models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote