Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:53 PM   #11

The futureshop only has the 58mm and they beat competitors prices. I like to start there then look for a better deal and go back have them beat it bt 10% of the difference.

but I'm in no hurry anyway, just figured since they only have the 58mm anyway, it would be no big deal and also more usefull in the future..
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:53 PM   #12

The S1 has no macro mode; at the wide angle setting it will focus down to about 4cms from the front of the lens; at 10X telephoto the distance becomes 94cms;

close-up lenses are the cheapest (and? the best) way to go to do macro shots

they came in different stengths from +1 and up to +10; you can screw them onto the lens adapter; closeup pictures are best taken with the camera on a tripod and using the remote control if you have it, to eliminate camera shake when you press the shutter; I have used a combination of Hoya closeup lenses on my S1 and taken some good macro shots;

see my post here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:08 PM   #13

:-)I just bought a set of CLOSEUP FILTER (LENS) +1,+2,+3, made by TAMRON, JAPAN. I recall TAMRON also mades good regular lens withexcellent quality. I try few test shots, it appears quite good, as I have not try any another closeup lens to compare the quality. ANYONE has any experience with this brand? the store salesman tells me it just good as made by Canon, except that I have to pay 2-3 times more.

jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:05 PM   #14

For my purposes I've found that an objective lens from an old pair of 7x30 (or it may have been 7x35, I forget) binoculars, mounted in a plastic cylinder works fine. The cylinder - cut from an empty caulk tube, and lined with stick-on felt slips neatly over the lens barrel. Here are some pictures -

Attached Images
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:18 PM   #15

to HERB: your home-made close-up lens takes wonderful close-up pictures. Thanks for sharingwith us.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:19 AM   #16

I recently posted some 1st day pictures taken with the S1 and Raynox DCR-250D.

They can be seen here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

I hope to put up some macroshots on my website too somewhere in the nearest future.

I am really happy with this combo. The lens fits perfect on the lensmate adaptor and it seems to me that it is of good quality!
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote