Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:33 AM   #1

I'm considering purchasing the Canon S70, but have been advised that the Canon S60 would meet my needs which is cheaper.

I will be wanting to zoom into subjects greater than whatthe 100m zoom will allow me to do. However, I have been advised that I can achieve this satisfactorily byusing my PC programme which will result inthe equivalent effect of having a 130mm zoom without losing any quality.

As I receiving correct advice?

carolvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:08 PM   #2

ok, so you are talking about cropping, you can crop, but cropping just like digital zoom is at the expense of quality loss. Depending on the size of the prints you will make, it may not matter. Also, you can usually get the same effect as having a 130mm by walking closer to your subject.

I just went and took some pictures with my A95, which is also a 5mp camera and I used the digital zoom to show u. In order to know what it would be like with the S60, just multiply the factor by 100. Here is the link to the gallery http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c418760.html

My personnal opinion is that you should go with the S60, but that is just me.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

Check the prices on the S70 at both B&H as well as buy.com, as they have dropped quite a bit!

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote