Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1

This post is about adapters that may be used to mount converter lenses on the Canon A95. My main interest is the use of Nikon converter lenses. The converter lenses made by Nikon for the Coolpix series cameras are perhaps the most complete one of all consumer digicams. This set includes fisheye FC-E8 and FC-E9, wide angle WC-E24, WC-E63 and WC-E68, and teleconverters TC-E2, TC-E3ED and TC-E15ED. The TC-E2 and TC-E3ED are perhaps the finest 2X and 3X converters, respectively, on the market. Unfortunately, Nikon did not use popular thread sizes. For example, the converters for the 950/990/995/4500/5000 use 28mm, the WC-E68 and FC-E9 use 46mm, the TC-E15ED uses 50mm and the big, heavy TC-E17ED uses 60mm. This makes using these converters on a Canon A95 a little bit more difficult than using other brand converters.

To mount these high quality lenses, I chose to use and evaluate two commonly mentioned adapters: the Canon LA-DC52D and LensMate 37mm available here:
http://www.lensmateonline.com/The Canon is plastic while the LensMate version is aluminum. In my opinion, the Canon version is not as good as the LensMate version because it does not fit the mount tightly, and, as a result, one may be able to move the converter and the adapter, shifting the line of view of the lens slightly. The following image shows the Canon (black) and LensMate (silver) adapter tubes. The small ring to the right of the LensMate adapter is a spacer to be used with Tiffen 37mm 0.56X wide angle lens. However, I found it to be useful when using CrystalVue 8X monoscope, and, none of the Nikon wide angle lenses requires this spacer.

The image below shows the configuration when the spacer is mounted on the LensMate 37mm adapter.

The next three images show, in this order, the Canon adapter on a A95, a LensMate 37mm, and a LensMate 37mm plus a spacer. The A95 was powered on with its lens fully extended out. It is clear that the spacer adds some extra space between the mounted converter and the A95 lens.

Since most Nikon converter lenses are of the 28mm size, a 37-28mm step-down ring or a thread converter is needed. Fortunately, Photosolve has such a thread converter available. See here
http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/rings/ring_conv.html The first image below shows the 37-28mm thread converter and the LensMate adapter, and the second shows the configuration of both on a A95.

The 37-28mm thread converter is a very thin ring going from 37mm (outside) to 28mm (inside). Unfortunately, this ring has a frustrating problem. It does not have a slightly larger "stopper" rim, and, consequently, as a lens is being screwed on to the adapter tube, it might be going too deep, causing lens error (i.e., the lens hits the rear end of the converter). Moreover, it does not fit with the LensMate 37mm adapter well and the mounted lens through this ring does not sit tight on the adapter tube. This will have a significant impact if the converter is a heavy one. I am still looking for a good 37-28mm converter, and report my finding here if I eventually can find a good one.

In the next few posts, I will present various Nikon lenses on my A95.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links