Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 2, 2002, 6:32 PM   #1
Default Got a new A40. Should I install the software??

I recently bought a Canon A40. In addition, I got a PCMCIA CF Card adapter for my notebook and a USB CF Card reader for the desktop. Both are useable by Windows 2000 (notebook) and Windows Me (Desktop) with zero additional sofware.

Now, is there any *good* reason to install the software that came with the camera to get the images to my computers? What will it do for me that I can't do with the readers? Honestly, I see no reason to install bloatware onto my computers if I can read the CF card directly, jsut as if it were a floppy, or CD, or whatever.

Will I miss anything??

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2002, 5:55 AM   #2

I always use the card readers and not the software that comes with it 'to read' it. I just browse for it in my graphics program and that works quite well.
photo_graphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:48 PM   #3

I also bought a card reader and use it like another disk drive and copy or open my images into whatever image editing software I am using. I also use an Apple Mac and it can detect the card reader right away as long as it's running OS9 and above. So if you have say a MAC at work or college you can access your images there aswell without having to install driver software for the camera if you wanted to connect it to the MAC. So yes, the card reader is a good purchase.
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:04 PM   #4

I installed Canon's Imagebrowser which I like very much. It's an easy way to look over a folder's contents. You can adjust the thumbnail sizes, view a photo at actual size if you want, and even run a slide show of a folder of images. You can also select an image and start Photoshop (or whatever you use) with one click to manipulate that image. Works great!
Steevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:31 PM   #5

The only Canon software I use is PhotoStitch - used for "stitching" panoramic shots together. If you use PhotoStitch, you may find using it with ZoomBrowser more convenient - it recognises photos to be stitched automatically.

MaveriX is offline   Reply With Quote