Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

I'm seriously thinking about getting this camera over its previous versions; from all the reviews I've read so far, it sounds like a top-notch camera, with very little purple fringing.

Question, if you take a pic using its full 3X optical zoom and want to blow up the picture to its maximum level at 100%, will the image quality be still crisp?

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:50 PM   #2

in theory yes,

but you have to realize the more zoom the less light that comes into the camera so you need more light or a higher iso setting to avoid a blurry picture.

also, it tests the purity of hte lens so if the lens was cheaply made then it could have distortion, but no graniness
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:38 PM   #3

Just posted review on the Canon SD500:

The samples for the Canon SD500 are much sharper with more details and great color compared to the Sony W1, the Olympus 5500 Sports, or the new Nikon 7900 (which stinks in my opinion judging from 1st four posted pics by www.dcresourece.com). When samples are printed out on Canon's CP-220 they are incredibly brite and sharp. Colors are as near to perfection as one could ask.

It's also very compact and .4" slimmer than Sony's W series and Nikon 7900 with more scenes (the the Sony) and manual control (Sony: hint hint it has manual white balance!)and much better flash (up to 15ft). The digital zoom works great and the 60 frames per second is fantastic movie mode as well as the 30 frames per second VGA mode. Also the flash works up to 15 feet and the camear works very well in low light (per the review, not tested myself but will soon!)

For movie mode examples visit this link:

Notice the digital zoom works and the colors and sharpness are great. Note too the 60 frame per second smoothness.

I just ordered one myself!!
wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote