Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:31 AM   #1

I'm a very happy owner of a canon A85, the quality of the pictures are great, but I use the camera to record movies a lot. The restriction of 30 sec is a really pain in the ass for me, so I thought in selling the camera and buying a new one that has the same or better picture quality but with no movie time restriction. Another thing that bothers me of the A85 is that uses4 batteries, and the weight that those batteries represent. It's a heavy camera.

The first camera I thought of was the canon SD300, but the problems with the breaking LCDs freaks me out. So the next option was the Sony W1/W5.

┬┐What do you think about this upgrade?

Sebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:25 PM   #2

I guess as with everything else, the "weight" issue is a person to person thing. After setting my DSLR's down, anything near the size of an A85 seems rather light to me.

I figure Canon has sold thousands of SD models. Unless you've seen, literally, hundreds or thousands of complaints (my guess is you've probably seen MAYBE 15 or 20) broken LCD's on these models are not a common occurance. Most complaints on the web I seeare not first hand experience but are like what you've said in your post. People hearing of others who've heard about others- it adds up pretty fast. I'm thinking about the SD400 myselfas a small carry around. Cracked LCD's are the last thing on my mind.

Whether any of the other models actually produce "better" images will be purely subjective. The A series Canons all have first-class lenses. I'm no memory stick fan, so can give you absolutely no data on any Sony model.

Honestly, if you record a lot of movies you really should consider spending the money you'd spend on a new digicam ona REALdigital movie camera. I haven't seen adigicam yet that really made a quality movie.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote