Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:49 PM   #1

Well I'm relatively new to digital photography, most of my photography experience has been a long time agowith a Canon AE-1 (yes... I'm THAT old) :shock:. I was wondering about which filters I should use with my Canon A95. I have a LensMate 37mm adapter and want to have something like a UV filter on it all the time for protection of the lens and zoom mechanism. I'm not sure about the 'UV' because that's what I used with film photography. In digital photography, which is preferred? UV doesn't do the same thing as in film, correct? (I've searched the forums and there seems to be a disagreement on this)We have all kinds... all advertised to be able to leave on all the time for protection. There are various designations of 'Skylights' (1A, 1B and 1.5 etc.), various 'Haze' designations, same with 'Clear' and 'UV'... Somewhat confusing to me now, I feel I have to learn all over again. :-?What do you suggest? I don't really want to buy just a clear glass, but want the same effect as a UV filter has on film with the least loss of light transmission.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

JamesRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:51 AM   #2

You don't have to feel confused. Get an UV filter and you'll see that nothing has changed. These days this the commun job for an UV filter... "to protect and serve" :-)and it will not affect your exposure. When you'll go at 2000 meters and more altitude the UV filter will finally work as an UV filter.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote