Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:20 PM   #1
Default G3 v.s. Olympus C5050 v.s. Nikon 5000

I narrowed down to these three cameras, but I cannot make a decesion.

Any comment or suggestions?

GORDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2002, 8:41 AM   #2

I don't know much about the C5050 so cannot comment there, but I just sold my Coolpix 5000 and do own a Canon G3, so I'll share my thoughts with you...

The 5000 has a superb lens, and outstanding optional wide-angle lens, has a wider-than most wide setting on the standard lens and does about the best macro shots I have even seen on a higher end consumer digital camera. It also feels good in my hands. But... it's terribly slow (shutter lag time, expecially with the LCD turned off which is what I used most often) and uses batteries like crazy. For walking around and taking candid shots of people, the camera was a big disappointment (my first disappointment with Nikon equipment in a LONG time). Flash exposures were only acceptable about 50% of the time. I think it would make a great studio camera though.

The Canon G3 is a great camera. Good software, just good everything. Flash works great, exposures are great, good features. Acceptable macro (but lousy compared with the 5000), absolutely outstanding battery life, great wireless remote control. In short, this is a camera you can easily live with. I'm very happy with it.

Hope this helps...
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote