Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Canon S230 Vs Casio QV-R4
S230's a better camera than the QV-R4 3 100.00%
Disagree 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:36 AM   #1
Default Canon s230 Vs Casio QV-R4

I'm looking for a new compact camera and have found a retailer selling the Canon S230 and Casio Qv-R4 for the same price. I was wondering if anyone knows how they compare. As I understand it, the Casio should be a better camera, having higher resolution, more features, manual options and 3*zoom. However, I've heard that the pictures it produces arn't the sharpest, having said that though it appears that neither are the S230's when taken indoors. Feedback appreciated!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:15 PM   #2

I'm not a good judge, having used the S230, but not the other. The indoor photos are OK by me, when there is strong lighting and no shaking (not a party
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:06 PM   #3
Default Re: Canon s230 Vs Casio QV-R4

Originally Posted by DanC
Casio should be a better camera, having higher resolution, more features, manual options and 3*zoom.
The Casio is essentially the same as the Pentax Optio 440(RS). But unfortunately Casio has chosen to use MMC/SD cards instead of CF cards, which are cheaper (the Canon and the Optio use CF cards.)
I have used Casio QV's and think they have some really great features for novice photographers like "Best Picture". Though it takes some getting used to. Most people just want to turn the damn thing on and take a picture and turn it off, without any adjustments. So while loaded with such features I doubt most people will use them. Still pretty neat.

Go to Steve's Review pages and you'll see that the QV-R4 (like the Optio) show some unusually grainy artifacts in the images (look near edges like in overhead telephone wires). The Canon S230's image is much sharper and cleaner. Don't forget that a 3.2MP image is only 25% smaller than a 4MP.

There has been some posts about the S230 making blury images indoors. I haven't found the S230 to be any worse than any other compact 3MP camera. I strongly suspect that its ultra small size incourages people to hold it one-handed and or to be more spontanious with it (ie. shoot while moving around more).

For example when I hand my S230 to somebody else to shoot me with it, they inevitably hold the camera firmly only with thier right hand and only use the finger or thumb of their left hand to steady it (or just one hand). No wonder.

If you're looking for more control over shutter speed and fstops, you'll want the QVR4 but for overall picture quality, the Canon S230 is better. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Finally, one other reason to choose an S230: you can get a really awesome and relatively inexpensive (~$250) protective underwater housing for the Canon S200/S230 which allows you to take skiing , rafting, or scuba diving (down to 100ft!).
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote