Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:16 AM   #1

Hi all, my first post here, and I've read [done a search] all the topics concerning SD200 and the LCD problem.

Would you say it's recent enough to merit not buying this camera, or should I go for it? I don't want to call up Canon about this problem ifit's still recurring, as I'm planning to give this as a gift - so I don't want to hassle them.

Thank you for all the input you'll hopefully give, and if you say "no" to "should I buy an SD200", could you recommend me one out of the following? I'm looking for giving it to a highschool student, so it should be compact, and not a 10x optical zoom.

Canon SD20, Canon SD200, Canon S60, Canon A510 / 520.

Thanks a ton!

Edit: I realize that there is a "what camera should I buy" forum, but currently, I've chosen the preferred camera - just want feedback on if the LCD problem is still occuring. If mods decide this should be moved there, please do so, and sorry.
xIcewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:05 AM   #2

Don't know if you arestill choosing, but... Having owned SD200, I highly recommend it. Sure it's bigger than SD20 (smallest from the list) , but not by much. And it has 3X optical zoom, wheras 20 only has digital. It doesn't take the best pics out of the bunch either, but it's "more" than adequate, etc... What I am trying to say is, for thetypical HSer, SD200 would be the best fit from the list of camera that you suggested. And it's stylish (better than Sd20 IMHO) to boot.

Ididn't experience any problem w/ the LCD either. And the camera wasn't treated that gently
Terry Bogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:28 AM   #3

If at all possible, please take a look at an S410. It's a better camera than any of the SD-series, although lacking as large an LCD screen, and it does have a slightly thicker profile. I borrowed a SD400 and SD500, thinking about an upgrade for my S410. The S410's picture quality was better in every possible regard. http://www.buydig.com and http://www.beachcamera.com are online retailers I've purchased from several times, and you should be able to find an S410 for under $250.

Lutz, FL
G6, S410, S1 (just sold), S2 (just bought)
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote