Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:16 AM   #1

Hi all,
I am from India.I have Powershot A70 camera. I bought it 2 years back. When i take pictures I am geeting only a black screen. The service center guys told me that the CCD is gone and has to replaced. He says it will take atleast 6 months as it has to be imported from singapore. I have lots of fiends abroad. So if people in another countries know the price of the ccd in thier coutry i can buy it from there through my friends. Pls help me.

Ashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:49 PM   #2

A CCD? That's the chip onboard the camera. Not something that you can buy from anybody other than Canon as far as I know.

Considering the labor cost of the replacing the CCD (if that is even possible), it is probably cheaper to buy another Powershot camera. But then the cost of labor is cheaper in India than in the US so maybe it's worth it.

I suppose you could also buy a used but broken A70 on Ebay and canabilize it for the CCD.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:29 PM   #3

Hey ! I had the exact same problem, since 10 aug 2005.

My PS A70 is 20 months old (no more warranty), and out of the sudden (I took real good care of it), the image taken is ALL BLACK.

How I know is the CCD? because I can view old pictures taken on camera LCD, but cannot take new pictures (well can but all black pictures).

sent camera for service and waiting for quotation on repair.
chkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 1:37 PM   #4

I also have the same problem, but if I give a (big) tik :?on the left side of the camera (with my hand !) it works again. So I thing it is a bad contact. Could you try this ?

I also try to open my camera, but I can't open the front. Perhaps somebody have a mechanical scheme ?

peterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:53 PM   #5

HI! Ashok: Sorry to hear u have a CCD sensor problem, I have the same model A70 and also have the same problem. There is no image in the LCD when Disp is pressed. E-Mailed Canon &got standard reply. They want from $100 to $200 for servicing or alternately offered a refurbished A75 fpr $109.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Researching the internet i find a lot of oremature failures in the A series, suggest u keep all documents and receipts in case the matter goes to court. I purchased my camera in mid 2003 and it is in immaculate condition, it just suddenly stopped displaying image in the lcd. others have same or varied experiences like e18 error where lens fails to advance/retract or cracked lcd etc. This appears to be a throw away camera too short a life for the money. Good luck if u find a ccd also please let us know if u do.MEANWHILE I SUGGEST U WRITE TOCANON DOCUMENTING THE FAULT AND USAGE FOR THE RECORDS, ONLY THEN WILL THEY TIGHTEN THEIR QUALITY CONTROL. Seems like a waste specially as otherwise the camera i very user friendly.
SNAPFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:32 AM   #6

Wow, I must be the luckiest. About 6 months ago, I had the E18, just2 days ago, the CCD problem hit my A70. Am now scouting for a new digicam.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:37 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i wouldn't replace them guys... get yourself a new digicam.. you can get a new a510 which is the update for approx 150USD.. or get a different brand if you are scared off of canon.. or you can spend a little more and upgrade your pixel count too..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:51 AM   #8

I have created a Yahoo! Group in relate to this A70 CCD problem.
The purpose is to group together all the people affected by this issue and to think a way to fight for our rights!

Here's the link, welcome to join me:
shoryu286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:25 PM   #9

Notice to Owners of Sony Digital Still Camera, Camcorder, CLIÉ Handheld Computer and Professional Camcorder (DVCAM format)

Thank you for your support and patronage of Sony products.

It has recently come to our attention that a limited number of Sony products that incorporate an image sensor device, or CCD, manufactured from October 2002 through March 2004 may exhibit the following condition:

When the product is used in camera mode, the LCD panel and/or electronic viewfinder exhibits either a distorted image or no image.
We have determined that this condition only occurs to a limited number of units, but may be accelerated if the units are exposed to high temperature and humidity environment.

In our efforts to ensure customer satisfaction, Sony will offer free out of warranty repair to the owners of applicable products exhibiting the above-mentioned condition caused by the image sensor device.

For further information on the applicable products and the repair service, please click on the following links to the respective product categories:

*Digital Still Camera
*CLIÉ Handheld Computer (PEG-NZ90/G and PEG-NZ90/H)
* Professional Camcorder (DVCAM format)

Thank you for your understanding of this situation.

I think a60/70/80 and maybe others canon series are built with sony sensors, so if sony offers repair, your problems are solved
claudemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:19 PM   #10

Canon has issued a statement about the A70s having a potentially bad CCD problem and I do think they're repairing them at no charge. Go over to dpreview.com and they have the links on the news page.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote