Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:46 PM   #11

Im not to sure now that the issue is a fault of canons now. I got in a camera today i bought used from e-bay it was "as is" when i got it i turned it on and the LCD was black, there was no images on it sept for the display settings and stuff, text is all i got. I tapped on the side and i got this image, and it was the same when i took a picture.

Since i have no life i decided to take it apart anyway and see if i could see some bad glue or what ever canon or who ever claims the problem is. I tore it down all the way to the lense but i couldnt see anything and i didnt take aart the CCD section i left that all sealed. I put it all back together took about 3-4 hours and now i get these pictures.

I was just going to box it up and send it back to canon weather it worked or not once i rebuilt it but now im not going to do anything but have some fun with it.

Cost me $35. shipped. :|

This little spot on the bottom is the only sign i can see that it took a fall. Maybe that caused it to screw up. I know the person used it alot because she said she did and she has an e-bay store selling bras. i hoped there were some pics still on the memory card but no such luck in that area. :blah:

BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:17 AM   #12

I have a Canon Powershot S1 IS and it also has a CCD malfunction that impelled Canon to give out an advisory and free service for the cameras mentioned.

If anyone is going to ask, the camera has never been dropped.

Does anyone know if the S1 IS has the same CCD as the other (A70, Ixus II, Ixus V3 etc) Canon cameras that have problems?

IMHO if the S1 IS has the same sensor as any of the recalled cameras, then S1 IS owners ough to petition Canon to give them the same free service.

I've seen owners of S1 IS in forums from Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines have the CCD malfunction problem.

J.Raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:05 AM   #13

My S1 has the same problem
Attached Images

sonic0192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:27 AM   #14

i am from indonesia,i'm sellingused camera since1999,

Don't have problem until this month, my ixus 400 , ixus 500, and powershot a80

showing thesame ccd problem.

now i'mscared if someone try to sellcamera , cause 3 of them not in the list of ccd error on their sites(camera manufacture).

gusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:40 AM   #15

I own an Ixus 400 (bought in Oct 2003). Have gotten the E50 error twice previously (sent back to the shop & was fixed) & yesterday, but managed to fix it myself after resetting it (the little button next to the CF card).

However, when I wanted to take photo of something, this was what I got (see attached). I don't think it was due to me pressing the reset button right? The video mode is still fine though.

Any idea?
Attached Images

lyrehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:21 PM   #16

Same problem overhere with the Canon S1-SI CCD, after using it for 1 1/2 years in the tropics. Purple smears only. The camera is useless now. Lets see if Canon is going to repair it for free as they should.
antonk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:17 PM   #17

Yesterday I tried to get my defect Canon S1-IS repaired. Canon simply denies the problem exsists, although they have about 20 other camera's on their list as having CCD problems!!
So if you bought a Canon powershot S1-SI and used it in the tropics, you have a big change of being left with a piece of junk soon: the CCD will just show black and purple streaks: no more photo's.

My advise to potential buyers: forget about Canon (quality problems, customer relation problems); go for anything else.
My fathers "Trust" camera is still working fine, eventhough is is older then my 1 1/2 year Canon.:evil:
antonk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 8:52 PM   #18

my second digital camera, beginning of 2003, was bought brand new, canon a60. (very first had been a nikon coolpix that got stolen stolen after 2 months.) within a year of having the canon a60, the purple distortion happened, rendering the camera completely useless. it'd never been dropped.

i figured maybe i'd been a little rough with it, anyway, so i took a chance and bought, brand new, a canon a90. within 4 months, purple distortion starts taking over my photographs, and then it stops taking photos completely, screen black, camera dead.

so i figure canon's a-series is the disposable line, and i need to move up to their more expensive cameras. so i spent $360 on a powershot s2 4 weeks ago.

last week, i dropped it. onto soft grass. cursing myself, i looked at it, looked okay, took it home. tried to take a picture, purple distortion taking over my photos, absolute jagged mess.

now i know i dropped the camera, but i'd inflicted far worse abuse on my nikon coolpix, and it'd never shown any problems. 3 canons now, in under a year, I've wasted close to $1000. every single one, the same problem, whether dropped or not.

suffice it to say, i am not going to be buying a canon again.
neon m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:22 PM   #19

My Canon Powershot S1 iS has also simply stopped displaying images...seems to be consistent with the described problems with the CCD with other models.* I have been using it for 2 years in the tropics (Northern Australia) and up until this problem delighted with the performance of the camera.* Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this problem with Canon Australia?* There is nothing on the Canon Australia website relating to this problem.* Of course the camera is now 'out of warranty'.* I'll appreciate any advice....
pottera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:45 AM   #20

pottera wrote:
Quote:
My Canon Powershot S1 iS has also simply stopped displaying images...seems to be consistent with the described problems with the CCD with other models.� I have been using it for 2 years in the tropics (Northern Australia) and up until this problem delighted with the performance of the camera.� Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this problem with Canon Australia?� There is nothing on the Canon Australia website relating to this problem.� Of course the camera is now 'out of warranty'.� I'll appreciate any advice...

I too have an S1IS and have used it in Northern Australia and out of warranty. There must be something about the 16 June as that is the exact same day that my CCD failed. The camera has not been bumped and when I rang Canon Australia for assistance all they would say was that I would have to send it to them for assessment and then repair. Not prepared to answer my questions or offer to connect me with a tech to Q&A on the fault. Rang a couple of authorised repairers, interstate, none in Northern Australia, and they were quick to ID the fault as CCD and cost A$300 to $400 to fix after all your freight costs etc.. Unsure what to do right now as I did have fun with the camera. Hope I have helped.
macca53 is offline   Reply With Quote