Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:50 AM   #31

Sony...yes I'm dissapointed about their products for alonger time :-)

But the camera is from Canon...

Anyone saw the problem I posted?
marceloros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:38 AM   #32

I also had the CCD problem with my Ixus III (powershot S230?) early this year.
I live in Bangkok, Thailand but the camera was bought in Japan.
I sent it to Canon Thailand. They replaced it with the brand new S450
for free including the guarantee and SD card 256mb.
Very impressive customer service
SuperLek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:17 AM   #33

Great service in the far east :-)

But if you live in the middle east don't expect much.
marceloros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:48 PM   #34

I have a Canon s1is that looks like I have the CCD issue.
Canon refuses to aknowledge there is a problem with their CCD's in the USA.
I almost, well, in fact I did, order the upgrade until I found this site and a few others. Then I canceled the order, and I will be sending in my camera to them to see if it's the CCD, and see if in fact they will pay for the repairs.

I asked them if they were planning on looking into if the bad CCDs that were used in the s1is's in the USA, and they said no. Not until they have many complaints. I asked them how many they'd had so far, and they said my complaint was the first they'd heard of it.

I offered to send them this URL; and they said they were uninterested in reading anything about Canon's products or complaints, etc.. unless it was authorized by or written to Canon Corporation.
Oh, and Canon.Asia.com doesn't count in the USA, because they claim they used different parts.

They added that, if I had my camera fixed by Canon corp., and they found out later that it was a manufacturer defect, and officially recognized it on their website, they would refund my repair cost.

So here's what I'm thinking so far.
If I hadn't stumbled upon this website, I would have paid the Canon Corporation $200 for a refurbished camera with a six month warranty, that I could have bought from a store, brand new, for about $50 more.
I would have had to relinquish my defective camera (the unscrupulouse and/or quicker amongst us are selling/dumping their Canon s1is's on eBay right now for- I think the last one went for $162. AS IS.), which would have been my only proof that it was in fact a manufacturer defect. (Canon would have probably re-sold it after fixing the CCD, just as refurbished s2is's are probably being sold as part of their upgrade program right now)

It's brilliant.
Canon turns around a huge, costly mistake into a profit maker; and at the same time uses their upgrade (and relinquish) program as a PR move for superior customer service.

Come on, Canon.
I just wanted you to say you were looking into it... instead you said my complaint didn't warrant it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm still upset right now.
amybedow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:03 AM   #35

Hello, I'm from Indonesia and I'm facing the same problem with all of you, my Canon S1 IS is useless now...

It seems to be because of the CCD Problem... Very similar symptom...

pottera, Can you tell me which Canon Australia office that you contact?

I've contacted the nearest Canon from my country, Canon Singapore, but the refused, saying that Canon S1 IS is not listed on the press release of the CCD Problem.

In Indonesia, there is no Canon Indonesia corporation, the only available is a main authorized dealer, and they charge about 200 USD for fixing it.

widita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:02 PM   #36

Hi Widita.I sent the camera to Canon Australia's service centre (details are on www.canon.com.au) with a covering letter explaining the problem.* I fully expected to receive a quote for the repair but after 3 weeks received the repaired camera, fixed gratis.* Good luck if you send it to them though I don't know whether you will have any success sending it from overseas.*
pottera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:23 PM   #37

i'm also experiencing the same problem right now. the problem is, my camera Ixus 430 is not among the digicams listed as known with faulty CCD. however, i believe this model was released just about the same time as Canon ixus IIs, which is included in the list.

i just sent an email to canon-asia and canon-phils regarding this. and i will try to have the camera checked in their service center next week.

damn..... this really pisses me off!!!

great forum by the way, very informative. thanks!
rjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:06 PM   #38

Well, I am having the same trouble as some of you and am so glad to have found this forum. I found some info that may help someone..

This is available to the USA and they are going to help me with my problem. I get the purple and black distorted lines and black screen sometimes when i go to use my camera too. Its 2 years old the A60 is what I have. They are going to fix it, no cost to me and no shipping costs either! I am thankful. Also, I struggled my way thru the E18 error, i pounded it on the counter and it worked again!! lol anyways, hope this website helps someone out there..

halojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:44 PM   #39

And here is the link for Canon USA for the Powershot A70 CCD repair:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:52 AM   #40

Guys... I do have the same CCD problem with my Canon S1 IS after almost 3 years shotting... it was more than 4000 pics. I'm from south Brazil and it has been to cold and humid over here latelly... even the zipper from the bag I carry the camera got oxidated. I think we should make some pressure at Canon, they have to repair this cameras for free.. I mean, it's one or two cameras with the same problems...lots of people worldwide are complaining about the same problem. If anyone had a free solution for this, please let us know.
bassfu is offline   Reply With Quote