Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 2, 2002, 6:45 AM   #1
Default canon G2

i am pretty much new to the world of digital photography, apart from a 1.3MP Fuji a few years ago. I am doing a large geological project in the summer, therefore i will be taking close-ups, panoramas etc. I am thinking on buying a powershot g2 for the job. Any comments or suggestions?

almonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:11 PM   #2

You should be aware of firmware issues before you buy. See:
mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:35 AM   #3

This may be too late but...

I bought the G2 on ebay last month for $625 and it included 96mb CF card , a bag, card reader and 6 YEAR WARRANTY!!! (ChoiceOneDigital)

I love it! I beleive there is no difference in pixel size (4mp), just some features and improvements. Don't know what they can improve?

If you're rich, get the G3. Otherwise you will be happy with the G2. If you have never tried ebay auctions, give it a try. Four of us at work bought G2s from 3 different suppliers and all three were delivered as promised, saving each of us hundreds of dollars (G2 at Best Buy or Fryes is $699 + tax and only the Camera with a one year warranty). There is not tax on auctions! Shipping is around $25.00 (no big deal)

You will love the fact that the LCD swivels. Gives you great flexibility and when closed, protects the LCD screen!
Richard Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 7:11 PM   #4

Perhaps you might consider the teleconverter and adapter. I found them helpful for some shots. Although the camera does a great job out of the box.
I would immediately add 2 or more 128MB CF cards. This size is large enough to shoot 41-42 Raw images. In High Res JPEG mode you will get over a hundred shots.

If you are going to be away from AC power, you might consider asking experts, (not me), about an extra battery. The charger charges the battery in the camera. I like that.

I have never run the battery down from regular shooting sessions.

rickburgess is offline   Reply With Quote