Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 8, 2003, 3:20 PM   #1
Default max write speed of Canon G3?

i am looking to get a high capacity CF card for my G3, but i was wondering what the max write speed of the G3 is. I dont want to pay the extra for a 24x card if the fastest the camera can write to the card is 16x.

Does anyone know what the max write speed is for the G3?

thanks in advance

robbaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:26 AM   #2

I am also interested in this information.

rkuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:27 PM   #3

I've been trying to obtain this information for about 2 months, since I got my G3. Canon told me they don't have this information! I've posted the question on several other forums and sites, but have not yet received a solid answer. I've even sent emails to some of the CF manufacturers; no answer yet.
hrbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:04 PM   #4

Just check other forums... This write speed varies from cards to card and also varies with the camera they are attached to. ie a fast speed with one brand of card in one camera does not mean it as fast if the same card is inserted into another camera brand.

The camera internal buffer size, its firmware, the controller in the CF card, its internal cache size, as well as the actual flash speed, or its internal organization all contribute to the final measured speed. Even if Canon characterised its G3 to several brand of flash cards, there's no guarantee that the card manufacturers would not change their internal organization to improve cost, yield, and the corresponding cost saving to the consumer on the next batch!

In general with most consumer camera including the G3 the camera is slow enough that no one would not notice any speed improvement unless they go to the movie mode or shoot in the raw mode. In jpeg the camera will usually buffer several shots at a time and write them out to the flash at a slower speed. With raw or tiff the whole buffer is filled in one gulp and then the corresponding wait between shots... ops: ops: ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 5:48 PM   #5

I was wondering this myself too. I've called Canon and they said "we don't have an answer to that" Ugh??? They suggested to post a thread on the internet. What the heck?

You would think they know the answer.

Perhaps, Phil Askey (who did the review on the G3) tested this? Have someone else email him? I haven't had any replies back yet from him.

G3guro is offline   Reply With Quote