Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:14 AM   #1
Default s30 sharper than s45/s40

Hi all

I just bought my first digital cam, the canon s30 and I was just wondering, I remember reading more than once that the s30 gives sharper pics than many 4mp cameras including the s40. Is this true and can someone explain to me how this is possible?

Does this relate to the resolution?

Many thanks,
cinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:06 PM   #2

One thing is that every CCD sensor is either better or worse than another. No two are identical, even within a particular model of camera (maybe they are better as price level increases). From what I have read, the S30 sensor has better qualities than the larger S40 sensor, so that images are more pleasing with the smaller sensor. As this is also a subjective issue, you have to decide for yourself by comparing images taken with both cameras. I have not heard of a comparison between the S30 and the S45. You can get a general idea by looking at the sample images on Steves and the other two or three major review sites. As an example, I don't like the A40 images I've seen as much as I like A20 images. Generally, I also seem to prefer "S" series images to "A" series images.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote