Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:47 AM   #1

Gidday Guys,

I currently own a Sony V1 and love it apart from the fact I'm getting old and I'm finding it harder to read/view the LCD. (only 1.5")

I've narrowed the field down to two (2), the Canon SD550 or the Sony W7. Both have the big and beautiful screen (2.5") but I need to know which camera has the same or better image quality than the V1.:?
gazza255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:23 AM   #2

The SD550 has excellent image quality - read some of the reviews here and at dpreview.com and dcresource.com. In addition to great image quality, the SD550 has the advantage of using less expensive and interchangeable SD memory storage cards, whereas Sony uses its own brand called Memory Sticks which are more expensive and can only be used in Sony cameras. Many camera manufacturers are now using the SD memory cards and so you can use them in different models should you choose to get another camera one day. Finally, the SD550 receives consistently more favorable reviews than the Sony W7 and the Canon is lighter in the hand too. I found the W7 too heavy, although it is a beautiful camera. If the choice were mine, I would go w/ the SD550 hands down - JM2C. :|
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

I can't vouch too much for image quality, but i think the main issue is size vs battery life. I recently compared a W1 (same size as W7) and a SD200 ( i think it's the same size as SD550) size by side. The canon is nearly half the thickness as the sony. The sony is not big by any means though.

The second issue is batteries. The sony uses AAs, while the canon uses a proprietarty rechargable. It's nice to be able to use regular batteries when you run out unexpectedly away from home.

Also, i want to add that the sony has more manual controls available than the canon (apeture, shutter speed).

Overall I think you'll be happy with either. They are both excellent cameras.
sbddude is offline   Reply With Quote