Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

Would you be so nice and share your experience with S1.

I would like to buy new camera (after A300 and A75) and S1 comes to mind (S2 is to expensive to me at the moment).

I did read S1 reviews and general rating is very good.

The only thing that is strange to me is that some "end users" comment this camera as *very good* and other as *very bad*.

Are "focus" and "blurry images" problems really that serious?

Thank you and sorry if my English is broken

P.S. I am beginner in digital photography (willing to learn more than plain point and shoot) looking for good general purpose camera with bigger zoom.
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:43 AM   #2

I like it. It is my first digital after using an ancient Pentax K-1000 for decades. I waited until the price dropped when the S2 came out. I do not have a problem with blurry images, except in very low light situations. S1 does not have an autofocus assist beam. I have forced myself to learn to use the manual focus. The articulating lcd is wonderful. I do enjoy the image stabilization. I take pictures most often in a forest setting and find I am able to take a decent photo at 1/80 shutter speed most of the time with out a tripod- great early and late in the day. I have not tried to print an 8x10 out of these files, but they look fine on the computer which is where most of my images are used these days.

I did get a lensmate adapter so I could put filter on, and it is nice to have a lens barrel to hold. I mainly got it to keep the zoom mechanism clean. I keep a UV filter on it.

It is not as compact a camera, but I like that. I think I would lose smaller ones.

You will like the zoom.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:10 PM   #3

if you dig in the custon settings, you will find one for this setting...i have it set up in "c" on my S1, look for it and you will find? good luck!
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:54 PM   #4

I did the same as sedges and I am very happy with my S1. With one set of NiMH batteries you can shoot over 300 pics. That is outstanding for a camera without optical view finder. The image stabiliser is just great and also the twistable display is something you don't wonna miss again after a while.
I usually buy a camera, when it is phased out at a very low price, and the S1 was my best buy ever.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote