Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Default F717 - need experienced help (shutter speed)

I own a F717 and take 100+ photo's of my daughters gymnastic events every other weekend. I cannot use the flash because of the event rules and I'm having problems getting pictures in focus, I cannot increase the shutter speed (because of no flash) - so I leave the camera on auto - most images are blurry. Any suggestions? Most shot are action shots.
Jsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:01 AM   #2

How far away are you from where your daughter is performing? I don't know the F717 but does it have a zoom lens? Can you bring in a tripod or a monopod to stop camera shake? Maybe that is the reason your pictures are blurry (one of many causes), in that you are using the zoom at it's full range and the camera shake is magnified. Is the area well lit? Unless you can increase the shutter speed, then action shots will be out of focus as you would need a 1/250 or 1/500 (much faster than normal) shutter to 'freeze' the action and give you a nice sharp image. You may be caught between a rock and a hard place with this one.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 8:34 PM   #3

The F717 just like the F707 is not a perfect camera for action shots but it can be accomplished. One thing to do is to set your ISO to 400 there by allowing you to adjust your shutter speed to a faster number and there by getting clearer action shots. Another factor is to learn to focus on the subject and pan with it there by saving the time of the camera having to refocus all the time. I set my camera at 120 of a second and the ISO at 400 and I was able to get some very good action shots of the horse competitions at the Fort Worth Stock Shows. The competition was inside a building and though I could use a flash they were to far away for the flash to do any good.
photosbymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote